You can use Microsoft OneDrive to share any type of files, Microsoft Office documents, other files, and entire folders with people. The files and folders you store in OneDrive are private until you decide to share them and you can see who a OneDrive file is shared with or stop sharing at any time.
How to use OneDrive software on your computer or laptop to share files with external people:
- From your Explorer window, go into your Organisations OneDrive Folder on the left hand side folders:
2. You will then see on the right hand side your local OneDrive files and folders. Here you may also see the Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders which is the backup folders from your own computer. For this example I have created some test folders highlighted below. Pay special attention to the Status column which shows whether the file or file is uploaded and ready to share.
3. Once you have Folder or File you wish to share, please right click on it and choose "Share" from the dropdown menu:
4. From the next window, please press the top section to change your own specific sharing settings:
5. This next page, with the sharing settings is very important. Here you can setup whether Anyone with a link to file can access it, or whether only specific people can access the file. Please note, if you choose "Specific People" then the recipient will need to sign in as a Guest to your Office365 to view or download the file.
You can also further customise the sharing link with an expiration date or a separate password etc. Just click on Apply to return to the initial sharing screen.
6. Once you are back to the main sharing screen, you can either enter the persons email address and add a small message, or Copy Link and then paste into an email message and send onwards.